For the longest time, my body has been my mentor, therapist, and best friend and has helped me navigate through many, many difficult situations in life also, I have at many times been ‘disconnected’ from my wisest friend and it led me down a more difficult path than I needed to take
The body holds within it a whole ‘global’ navigation system and can reflect to us, so many great nuggets of wisdom if we can learn to listen to it and hear its messages. The body not only tells us when we are in danger, or the person we are speaking to is being dishonest or yells out to tell us to ‘run’ but it can also tell us when we are not feeling fulfilled or when the life we are living is not nourishing our soul or spirit.
When we are eating for instance and we see our body shape change and we continue to eat even though we are not hungry the body is showing us that there is a problem. When our knees are aching in pain because when we walk there is too much pressure or weight on them that is a message that there is a problem. Are you listening?
There is just so much wisdom the body holds and it can reveal to you at any time where corruption in ‘the system’ is, where we have corrupt codes within the energy bodies within our being. Whether it be hormonal imbalance, unhappiness, sadness, fear, safety, illness, disease, or corrupt codes the body will always show you where and what needs maintenance.
How do we know when the body is telling us something? I’m curious as to how many people could answer this one correctly and I’d be curious as to if people said yes does their body show the opposite?
Everything is shown in the body from a skin rash, pimples, facial hair for women, dark circles under the eyes, deep lines in the face, red inflamed skin, weight, posture, and hair, to words that people speak, tone of voice, bloated bellies, freckles and patches on the skin, congested sinuses, sore joints, back pain, to stuttering, illness, and disease, chronically being tired, anger, always being busy, distracted, etc, etc.
So how do we become more aware of the body and what the messages for us are? I wanted to give you a list of 5 just to start you out. So here are my five ways to become aware of our body navigation system:
- Become more inquisitive – become more accustomed to asking questions throughout the day such as when you put something into your mouth stop, feel into your body, then ask yourself if you are hungry or if are you filling another need. Are you bored? unhappy, frustrated etc.
- Where is your body holding pain and when you feel that pain what is causing it? When does it come about? When does it get better or worse?
- When you can’t sleep at night and you feel restless, what is going on in your mind? What are the thoughts that are rolling around in there?
- Begin to map your body – map out your body and make a list of all the different types of issues or signs that you have within your body and start to map out when they started, what was happening, and what makes them disappear.
- Journal about this exercise and start to note everything in your body from hot/cold sensations, numbness/tingling, heavy/light, and anything else. You will become more mindful and aware of the messages the body is telling you.
Think of your body as your new best friend that is there for you in every instance in your life, a friend that is always honest with you and never lies. Create maps, drawings, mandalas that have color and connect it to thoughts and the mind and how it all somehow tells you where you stand in this moment with everything and how you feel and how that reflects into the outside.
The body holds all of our secrets, holds our deepest desires and wishes, and shows us the path that we are on and how the future will look if we stay on our current path. We just have to listen.