Okay, so we all can’t be happy all the time that’s for sure but we can get on a path to becoming happier and feeling more joy in our life more often. Believe it or not, happiness is a choice, just like being unhappy and miserable is a choice….that’s the good news! As with anything that is a choice you can make changes if you are ready to choose happiness, and here are some ways to do that.
- First and foremost – decide to be happy! – I know a lot of people that aren’t happy because they focus so much on what they believe is happening TO them and all the negative around them. When I lost my Dad I went “dark” for 3 years. I wasn’t ready to be happy or move on and start living. So, simply make the choice to BE happy.
- Gratitude – I know this is said over and over and I’m going to say it again! Practice Gratitude! Being grateful for the smallest of things can start that off and grow bigger and bigger. How does one do this? Every day I start off the morning by saying “Thank you for another day, thank you for another chance to have another day to be better and to start again.” I mix in “thank you for my health, abundance, my family and friends, and the roof over my head.” Before I go to bed I say “thank you for my day, my challenges, for everything I learned, and I put specific details in here as well.” Be grateful for what you do have because we all have something.
- Stop watching the news or at least really limit time. – Let’s face it, do you see mostly feel-good stories in the news or do you see mostly negative and bad things on the news? I stopped watching the news, reading the paper, and really haven’t listened to the radio in years. Some people might say “I’m ignorant” but that’s not the case. Watching the news is really hard for empaths but for everyone. It puts your focus and attention on what is “wrong” with the world instead of what is “good” with the world. I always say that in MY world, things are good, I do my best every day, do my part for what I can to make my world a better place. When I am happy and doing my part to live my life in a way with passion, and in alignment with my highest path and purpose, it then allows others to do that as well. So, stop watching the same negative sh*t on the news every day.
- Acceptance – accept that there are things in this world that are beyond what we can control and things that we can control. This is important, why waste your time feeling unhappy because things are the way they are when they are out of your control? For instance, wishing that your significant other could be more understanding, more romantic, etc is useless and only creates tension and resentment in you, which in turn is going to make the relationship impossible to be happy. There are things in life that you can change and control but there are things you can’t ….leave those things alone and just accept them. The faster you can do that the happier you will become.
- Forgive – Life is way too short to hold onto anger, hate or hurt. Emotion carries with it vibration and feelings of hate, shame, guilt, and anger are the lowest of the low vibrationally. Think of those emotions as having weight to them, they fall down deep into the pit of your soul and cause you to be tired, stuck, and low energy. We are all human beings and therefore are flawed. We sometimes make bad choices that have consequences, we deal with other human beings that are on their path and make their choices or haven’t learned their lessons yet. So forgive, for that is a choice you can make.
- Let go of “Toxic” people in your life – you know the people that always seem to complain? They are “self-centered” and only want something for themselves? The people that always complain to you and yet every suggestion you give they have a reason Not to do that? We all have spiritual growth at different levels and reach them at different times. Some people like to hold on to their trauma, their illness, their point because it’s safe and they get something in return for staying there. Thing is, is that when you aren’t in that space, these toxic people can knock you down and zap your energy and you are left feeling exhausted. Walk away from those people, you will be better off and it isn’t a mean thing to do, it’s simply you are in a different place, and if you are going to “choose” to be happy you must choose to let go of all that which will bring you down.
- Speak your truth! – You have a voice and you have to use it. I know this one can be hard. Sometimes we have different beliefs and different ways of looking at the world around us. So, if you don’t want to do something that someone has asked you to do something, speak up, don’t do things just because others think you should do that. I’m not saying you need to be right, I’m just saying speak up and use your voice when you need or want to be heard. If you go through life doing what others want you to do but you don’t want to, you will just feel resentful, unhappy, and angry that you “have” to do something when really….you don’t!
- Let go of caring what other people think of you! – You know, everyone will always have an opinion about you and what you do. It’s human nature. The thing is, is that they are not the ones that are living your life! It’s none of your business what other people think of you, it’s only important what you think of yourself. You have to live with the choices that you make for yourself and live with those consequences so you do you! Live your life in alignment with what it is that you want to do. This is the quickest way to be happy!
- Get outside – Being outdoors, in nature, surrounded by beauty and space, and peace and quiet are important and there are so many studies that prove this. Being outdoors increases your “feel good” chemicals in your brain, it keeps you grounded, helps anxiety and depression, and helps your body to keep its wisdom.
- Sleep – This is an important one and there are just so many studies out there that tell you why it’s important to get between 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. Think about it, if you are not getting enough sleep and are waking during the night, your body has not had the time to regenerate and heal, your brain has not gotten its rest and cognitive functions will be in danger. Your immunity will go down, you will be less able to focus, concentrate and even make decisions. So get your sleep!
I hope these helped you and you now can move forward with becoming happier! Life is better when you are happy and able to live life being happy and more passionate.
Joanne Hughes is a LifeStyle Strategist with a passion for helping you make the changes in your life that put you on your best path and empowering you to make those choices and changes in your life so that you can live your best possible version of YOU!